Re: derivatives distro census

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> It surely should. As I said, it looks like that page is not really up to
> date. We can proceed to update it as suggested in the page, but I don't
> want to create too much burden on the -www people. I guess it would be
> better for us (i.e. this list) to find out a mechanism to make a proper
> census of derivatives, collect the results and then propose them as a
> batch change to that page.

Personally I think Mer should be listed but not Maemo since it is
essentially a dead end and will not be developed further. A separate
page/section could be added for prominent distros that are no longer
developed.

I'd suggest any census be co-ordinated with the press team so it gets
wider coverage in the tech media (slashdot, LWN etc).

There are a few wiki pages with lists of derivative distros and deb
repositories:

http://wiki.debian.org/MergeDerivedDistributions#Who.3F
http://wiki.debian.org/UnofficialRepositories
http://wiki.debian.org/CommercialDebianDistros