RE: Women in Debian

> Some of the programmers working on debian are
> undoubtedly great. Some of their work might someday
> be regarded as the most inspired efforts of this
> generation.
>
> When Sandra Day O'Connor graduated near the top of her
> Stanford Law class in 1952 the only job she could get
> was legal secretary. "Too much testosterone," to
> paraphrase the general consensus, why women wouldn't
> succeed in the courtroom, at the time. I wonder if any
> young women hear similar things from the relatively
> modern community here. In fact, as this thread has
> shown, they do.

if we're going to go on general consensus, and differences between how sexes
perceive eachother ... then i'd like to see a woman that doesn't initially
think men are messy people who can't make dinner to save their *lives*. and
why is this? most likely because that *is* the reality. a LOT of guys either
*are* messy fucks, or can't make dinner to save their lives (mostly lazy,
i'm sure... it *isn't* difficult).

> Doesn't that suck a**?

it sucks both ways.

> Do you believe there is any guarantee that the
> world's smartest person is a male?

that isn't the issue. the issue is that the percentage of overly smart and
geeky chicks vs. overly smart and geeky guys is WAY distorted (btw, there
are two *really* cute and *really* geeky and smart chicks at work). it's a
fact of life. my theory on this (ripped off of someone i don't remember atm)
is that it has a lot to do with how people are raised.

take guys. they're constantly encouraged to fiddle with things. chicks
aren't. in fact, their peers will taunt them if they do.

those chicks that still *do* fiddle with things deserve our admiration...
they have the balls (well, bad wording, but nevermind) to do what they feel
is right for them. unfortunately, a lot of the attention they get from the
guys in the geek community tend to be on the ... desperate side. if there's
*anything* that should be adressed, then that's way higher on the list.

this is just a fact of life, and it's a difference between the sexes that
will most likely always be there (100% equality in behaviour between the
sexes would be uber boring), and something i can live with perfectly fine
(altho it DOES piss me off when chicks i know well bitch and moan about how
we guys always act like pigs etc etc, but i'm getting off topic here). it
keeps things interesting.

-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.