Re: Is an MBF and unblock for packages introducing new files in /bin or /sbin or /lib in Bookworm acceptable at this stage?

    Luca> Hello Release Team, If we were to do a MBF against packages
    Luca> that in _Bookworm_ have introduced new files in /bin, /sbin or
    Luca> /lib*, would you accept the consequent mass unblock request?
    Luca> I am asking beforehand as there's no point in going through
    Luca> the effort if you don't, the advantage is only if we can sort
    Luca> it before Bookworm ships, and the bugs would become invalid
    Luca> and be closed as soon as it does as per moratorium otherwise.
    >>
    >> This sounds like a really bad idea.  While technically this is
    >> consistent with the TC's advice, what you are proposing to do
    >> increases the chance that you're going to trigger the dpkg
    >> disappearing file bug.
    >>
    >> Consider:
    >>
    >> * User installs version from testing with file in /bin *
    >> Maintainer quickly moves the file to /usr/bin per your MBF *
    >> Bookworm releases; user does not upgrade at this point * Package
    >> reorganization; file moves between packages * User upgrades; file
    >> disappears

    Luca> What "package reorganization" would that be? Are you aware of
    Luca> any such thing happening in the next couple of weeks before
    Luca> release?

Who said anything about next couple of weeks.  This affects testing and
unstable users *after the release*.  It is my experience of Debian that
outside of freezes package reorganizations happen regularly.

I think your plan is safe for stable users if we actually find a
solution to canonicalize paths during the next cycle.  I do not think
your plan is safe for people who track testing, and for me there's not
enough benefit to justify breaking testing.