Re: release policy

Raul Miller writes ("release policy"):
> Attached, below, is AJ's release critical policy, in the context of
> sarge.
>
> I'm thinking we should ratify it, as is.  As soon as possible.

Gads, do we really need to ratify the entire text of this document ?

> I'm thinking we should ratify a changed document [which is more
> restrictive on DFSG issues] for releases following sarge.

I think the problem we have here is not that we don't have enough
documentation, it's that we don't have a process for resolving
disputes quickly.  We did have one - the Release Manager decides - but
this issue has been so badly politicised that it's getting in the way
of the RM's main job of release engineering.

So, why don't we simply say something like:

 Following the recent General Resolution 2004-004, the Technical
 Committee believes that the Developers intent is that the release
 policy for sarge should not be affected by the Social Contract
 changes in GR 2004-003, and that the policy should remain de facto
 unchanged.

 We have been delegated the question of the release policy for sarge,
 in the light of the General Resolutions and other considerations, by
 the Release Manager.

 Accordingly, we decide that as regards DFSG issues the release policy
 for sarge should be the same as the policy which was actually applied
 for for woody (and for sarge before GR 003).  Any questions regarding
 licensing problems are to be settled in a way most consistent with
 decisions actually made and implemented by the Release Manager
 according to that previous policy.

 Should there be a doubt on any specific issues we will adopt the
 following process:

  * When the implications of the pre-sarge policy are unclear, the
    Release Manager shall refer the details to the Technical
    Committee, with references to any relevant precedents.  This
    referal should take the form of a bug report.  The Release
    Manager should state their opinion if they have one.

  * The Technical Committee will discuss the matter, with reference to
    previously existing release policy documents and prior precedents.
    If no relevant precedent can be found then we will presume for new
    software that it is not to be included in sarge, but for software
    which was already included in woody that it will be included in
    sarge.

  * As soon as an opinion has been clearly expressed by any two
    members of the Technical Committee, the Release Manager shall
    implement that opinion and the bug shall be reassigned and/or
    closed as appropriate.

  * Such tentative opinions may be overruled by a normal TC
    resolution.  People who wish such a tentative opinion to be
    reversed should therefore talk to the TC informally.  They should
    not file bugs.

Ian.