Re: AYT? Support network, anyone up to?

On 10 Apr 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> I'm sort of in the position where I might like to hire somebody at the
> end of the year (if all goes well).  But it's a pretty big leap going
> from a 1 person home office setup to 2 people in an office.  Perhaps
> the co-op would be a good tool for me to expand - rather than just
> interviewing people from out of the blue.  I'm sure quite a few of the
> other independent consultants are in a similar situation.
>
> I'm rambling...  :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
>  - Jim

I do not know how it works in Canada but as a sole propriator in the US,
it really sucks having employees. I had one. The amount of government
paperwork mushrooms by about 10x when you hire the first employee, after
that each additional is really not a big deal. The other problem is
insurance.  If your employee screws up and deletes some important data the
customer sues YOU not the employee and unless you are incorporated, all of
your personal assets are fair game. The customer walks away with your
house, your kid's college fund, and your '87 Chevy because some kid made a
bonehead mistake and gave the filenames to tar in the wrong order.

In my case, I was lucky and had a really good kid working for me. He
listened, did it my way, and when in doubt, he would stop and check with
me first. Many employees simply do not realize that the boss' personal
assets might hinge on their actions. They also do not realize that the
boss gave up his one day off when he hired the employee to do government
paperwork.  Employees are fine of you have a dozen of them and have
the paperwork done out of house but it really sucks having just one or
two.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org