Re: Packaging AWS Agents for Debian

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 06:02:12PM +0800, gustavo panizzo (gfa) wrote:
> Watching how I can improve the current status of Debian support at $DAYJOB
> I realized that AWS agents are not packaged even if their license
> allows it
>
> I wonder if packaging them, on main, would make Debian supported by AWS?
>
> When I said supported by AWS I mean Debian having the same status as Amazon Linux,
> RH, and Ubuntu in docs like this
>
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/sysman-install-ssm-agent.html
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/codedeploy/latest/userguide/how-to-run-agent-install.html

Note that for each of the supported OSes referenced in the above docs,
the agent is packaged and distributed by AWS directly, and is not part
of the distribution. So being present in the distro is not a requirement
for support. I will follow up with contacts at AWS and see if I can
learn more details about what makes a distro eligible for support. I
suspect that demand from AWS customers is a large part of it.

Regarding the list of specific agents you provided, yes, each of them is
potentially a candidate for inclusion in Debian. It's simply a matter of
somebody being sufficiently motivated to do that work...

> Maybe there are other agents out there that I don't know about it

Amazon ECS Init should also be packaged.
https://github.com/aws/amazon-ecs-init

> I'm *really* interested in feedback from from Amazon folks here, if Debian doesn't
> get the supported status by AWS, I won't have the time to own this
> effort (I don't know ruby so I can't help with the CodeDeploy agent
> anyway)

I suspect that there are two things that need to happen for AWS to
officially consider Debian supported in their docs, etc:

1. Customers have to be asking for official support. If there's not
sufficient customer demand, it's probably not even on AWS's radar. I
don't not know what would constitute "sufficient".

2. There could be formal partnership agreements between the distro and
AWS. I'm not sure, and I don't know what the terms of such an agreement
would be, so I have no idea if this would be an option for Debian.

Obligatory Disclaimer: I work for AWS, but I am not involved in
determining what is supported by them. I'm not speaking on their behalf
here.

noah