Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon and blueman, pulseaudio, and pipewire

Il 19/05/2023 20:16, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 19/05/2023 18:38, Joshua Peisach ha scritto:
Hi Fabio, (and CCing to Christoper Schramm, blueman maintainer)

For 23.04, I switched Ubuntu Cinnamon to use PipeWire. However, the new Ubuntu image builder will soon be stricter on recommends, which recommends pulseaudio (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cinnamon-settings-daemon/+bug/2020007)

Pulseaudio recommends can probably be removed for cinnamon, but I’m wondering about blueman. Is it appropriate to drop the blueman recommends in order to allow for an option or either pulseaudio or pipe wire?

Thanks,
-Josh

pulseaudio is still required in cinnamon-desktop (libpulse-dev for build and libpulse0 is dep for libcvc0), also for cinnamon-settings-daemon even if rebase of some part decreased its use if I remember good, is used also by cinnamon (build and libcvc0 dep) and recomends also libcanberra-pulse.

so seems that upstream works is needed to switch to pipewire and remove pulseaudio specific things but don't seems have something related planned. remove these part in debian packaging with specific pathes don't seems very good to me and I suppose we would lose audio settings from applet and cinnamon panel and the sounds, or I'm wrong? I don't have time to test it

I did a search I found that other DE with pipewire (or its support) have libpulse-dev/libpulse0 deps so should not be a problem, about libcanberra-pulse have dep. alternative pulseaudio | pipewire-pulse, probably can be enough do the same in cinnamon-settings-daemon

about bluetooth in other with pipewire I saw libspa-0.2-bluetooth | pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, I didn't check better blueman if can simple add libspa-0.2-bluetooth as alternative to its recommends, probably can be an advice to check for maintainer if he not already did