Re: Upload new cinnamon builds before freeze

Il 08/02/2021 10:39, Norbert Preining ha scritto:
Hi Fabio,

https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/nemo-python/-/commit/8b639f737ebfa7f55af4ad9181b438646d983755
spotted in tests done some weeks ago after check ubuntu nemo bug reports
Ouch, sorry, missed that, uploaded now.

https://release.debian.org/bullseye/freeze_policy.html in softfreeze
fixes and build with 10 days delays, or no?
Small and dedicated patches. So yes, we **can** do something, unless
there are big changes.

if upstream not will do bugfixes release I'll search important fixes to
apply in debian/patches but as wrote I prefer new bugfix version instead
many debian/patches, or I'm wrong?
I agree with you, another upstream bugfix release would be much better
and easier.

Please let me know how you intend to proceed.

today doing some other clean install tests I saw an "unexpected case", gnome-terminal that was missed before cinnamon-desktop-environment 4.8.1 because gnome-terminal recommends in cinnamon and cinnamon-desktop-environment was both with alternative the virtual packages x-terminal-emulator and with task-desktop that have xorg dep that have xterm dep already satisfied it leaving system without gnome-terminal (but only xterm in major of install cases).

In cinnamon-core (cinnamon-desktop-environment 4.8.1) a workaround is added that made gnome-terminal installed with full install and minimal install (cinnamon-core with recommends) and was still possibile remove gnome-terminal (if someone want keep only another terminal) without broke/uninstall the metapackage.

One month ago with https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/cinnamon-desktop-environment/-/commit/09e923b948f4f322d61e4ea454bf51c030d4c4bf I made possible have gnome-terminal also in minimal install remove it (if someone want keep only another terminal) without broke/uninstall the metapackage but one month ago I probably not tested the full install and was ok only in minimal install.

Today on new clean install tests I saw the in both minimal (cinnamon-core) and full install (tasksel cinnamon) not have gnome-terminal installed but only termit installed.

I haven't checked where this dep comes from (termit), but I want find a good final solution that both will solve this (and for example close https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=960244) having terminal working and simple from menu (that point to gnome-terminal) and preferably keep possible uninstall gnome-terminal (if some very minimal users don't want it), the first thing I think is important for major of users (and prioritary), the second I suppose is needed only by very few users (and secondary).

the possible solutions that came to my mind are:

- change in cinnamon package the recommends "gnome-terminal | x-terminal-emulator" to "gnome-terminal" (but it will not make gnome-terminal installed in cases where user install without recommends)

- remove "gnome-terminal | x-terminal-emulator" in cinnamon-core dep and readd "gnome-terminal" as recommends (but it will not make gnome-terminal installed in cases where user install without recommends)

- remove virtual packages alternative in cinnamon-core dep: "gnome-terminal | x-terminal-emulator"->"gnome-terminal" (but it will not make gnome-terminal removable without broke this metapackages)

or else if there is a better solution

@Norbert: what do you think?

thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research Labs  +  IFMGA Guide + TU Wien + TeX Live + Debian Dev