Re: Automatically seeding Debian torrents

On 2023-12-28 at 08:17:16 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> The team would be interested in how successful this is because we
> don't have much visibility of torrent downloads.

not op, but I usually download and seed a few torrents after each major
release, and this is my current data.

A few notes: the selection of ISO I download is basically what we used
to use most often during our LUG meetings back when we had in-person
ones where people sometimes asked for help installing things. Now it's
mostly a matter of habit and vague hope for the future :D

And I don't bother with point releases for the big images, except
sometimes for the netist iso if I need it for something at home.

That said, these are the images that I'm currently seeding

Ratio   Name
  0.6   debian-10.13.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  0.2   debian-11.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  1.2   debian-12.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  1.0   debian-12.0.0-i386-netinst.iso
  0.5   debian-12.0.0-arm64-DVD-1.iso
  0.4   debian-12.0.0-armhf-DVD-1.iso
  4.6   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso
  3.0   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-standard.iso
  4.9   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-xfce.iso
  2.8   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-lxqt.iso
  2.6   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-lxde.iso
  3.8   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-mate.iso
  4.7   debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-kde.iso

Since the 12.0.0 images have been downloaded around the same time (and
on the same client, of course) I think that their ratio values may be
suitable for comparison, and it seems to me that the various live images
are worth seeding, the netist just barely so. The two arm images I keep
downloading for my (mostly theoretical) use, but are probably not really
worth seeding otherwise.

of course this excludes all of the other images I don't have, and it may
also just mean that I've helped other people who download said images
for seeding rather than actually helping distributing debian to users :)
--
Elena ``of Valhalla''