Re: live-installer update for Bookworm?

Roland Clobus <rclobus@rclobus.nl> (2023-04-10):
> Aside from Janitor, modernisation and lintian corrections, my change was the
> only functionality change in four years (as seen by diffoscope, see below).

Maybe, but one shouldn't have to resort to diffoscope to figure this out
at this stage of the release cycle.

> There is no autopkgtest, but the openQA run for sid shows that the change
> has its intended effect.
>
> If I had known that I would need to file an unblock request, I would have
> done so, but the timing (patch, merge, release) was rather unfortunate.

OK.

> It is certainly not a release critical issue, but I personally find it quite
> annoying to have to wait about 30 minutes for the installation, and then to
> read 'Installation is complete, so it is time to boot into your new system',
> press a key and then wait another 2-3 minutes before the reboot is actually
> performed, while the additional waiting time could have been incorporated
> into the longer non-interactive phase.

Looks like unacceptable/silly delay to me, esp. if a fix is already
available and has been confirmed to have the right effects. Please get
in touch with the release team to get that fixed in Bookworm.

(This reminds me of avoiding one update-initramfs call for each firmware
package installation, meaning 1+ minutes instead of 10-15 seconds): I
didn't file a bug report for it, so I'm not sure whether I would have
called that serious or important or something else, but that's definitely
something that's annoying enough and easy to fix that I'm happy to fix
even if it doesn't exactly follow the letter of the freeze policy. But
several minutes? Even stronger feeling towards getting the fix merged.)

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at the diff.

Cheers,