Re: Package versions

Hi Marco,

Il lun, 2004-03-29 alle 00:36, Marco Terzuoli ha scritto:
> Hi,
[...]
> I would like to know if all these problems come from a mistake of mine
> (and in this case I would be thankful if you could explain how I can
> get a really up to date version) or if it is a Debian policy to select
> such software (I understand the need to use software which has been
> tested for long in order to give the system stability and security,
> but what I found was just ancient).

Debian 3.0r2 is the last stable release, but it is just a security
update of 3.0, released some years ago.

About your questions:
1. kernel 2.4.18 is available. Look for package kernel-image-2.4.18-1
2. vi is the standard vi. You may install nvi or vim packages
3. ati radeon 9000 isn't supported in that xfree86 and you have to get
   more recent version of the package. You might download xfree86 4.3.0
   from www.backports.org

all the software you need (kernel, vi, and manu other) *is* in Debian
and you just need to select it for install.

If you need newer version of that software than you should probably
switch from Woody (the actual stable) to Sarge (the next stable).

Bye,
Giuseppe