Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:

> I know the problem, I'm already working on getting the filesystem big
> enough to handle it. And if you know you are topologically close to
> another mirror with lots of bandwidth that has them, it should take more
> than a couple of hours to one day to get the complete set. Of course, this
> probably isn't possible for the ones mirroring from the master site.

I have 15 Gb of archive (i386 and source) on my HDD and I need to update
it daily or otherwise I am in trouble.  For Official i386 I use PIK, for
other architectures, straight download.

> Yes, I see how it can help alot for mirror updates, but that is another
> matter. Once the images make it out to a bunch of mirrors I don't see any
> point in bothering the end users with PIK, it is much easier to just
> provide the download links on the mirror list.

In the last analysis it is up to the individual mirrors.  IMHO it is not
unreasonable for the master site to strongly encourage PIK, other sites
can do what they like.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org