Re: TC3 CD#1 images are different sizes on ftp.d.o and cdimage.d.o

Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com> writes:

> Humm TC3 CD#1 images are different sizes on ftp.d.o and
> cdimage.d.o
>
> Should they not be the same ?

They were built independently.

> cdimage.d.o =  658878464 2000/07/25 09:22:42 potato-i386-1.raw

That is the result of taking 1_NONUS, and taking all the non-US stuff
out. Hence it is smaller than this:

> ftp.d.o     =  676112384 2000/07/25 07:40:45 potato-i386-1.raw

which is the result of simply building the first CD with no
attempt to put non-US in in the first place.

> curiouser, and curiouser.. ;-)

I doubt that it will make any real difference to people that just test
CD#1, and if it does, that difference may reveal some bugs we'd
otherwise not spot.

For people that are testing all three CDs, one presumes they're going
to get them all from the same place, but if they got #1 from ftp.d.o
and 2 & 3 from cdimage.d.o they might have some slightly pointless
problems, since they are effectively parts of different sets, and there
would be some overlap.

The reason for this split is that ftp.d.o is a lot quicker than
cdimage.d.o so can produce a full range of CDs in the time it takes
cdimage to start producing the first, so these images filled a need
while people were waiting for cdimage.d.o to do it's thing.

Cheers, Phil.