Re: DVD distribution?

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> it is unlikely that linux will get a dvd software decoder soon.
>
> but:
>  - dvd drives are supported as good as cdrom drives
>  - the dvd filesystem is not yet ported to linux (not sure),
>    but you could put a iso9660 filesystem on a dvd, i guess.

Or wait a few months - UDF for Linux is coming along very well. Or use
ext2, whatever.

>  - at the international film and tv exhibition in germany a
>    dvd decoder board was shown. you will be able to buy it in a
>    few weeks. yes, it works with linux.

Cool!

> so, if someone had enough disk space and a dvd writer, i see no
> problem for creating debian dvd´s. but creating dvd´s is not cheap...

Agreed. As I work for a storage company, I'm hoping to get to play with a
DVD-R drive soon, at which point I'll be looking at this of course. But
the media and drives are still stupidly expensive.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK
stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk