Problems with init

Is there some reason that we can't, at least for the moment, just hack
around init such that the scripts it *calls* call into /etc/rc<x>.d (and
thus, to /etc/init.d)? Simulating SysV init scripts shouldn't be that
difficult; while I have been told that some inits (notably FreeBSD's) don't
support all of the runlevels, this could be fixed much more easily, either
upstream or locally, than trying to port over glibc...
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://www.lightbearer.com/~lucifer