Re: Getting Started

>> Recently we had two of ours drop the CPU core voltage by 10% (from 3.3V
>> to 3.0V), which caused hardware hangs after a period of operation
>> ranging from a few minutes to a few hours.
>
> Really? Because that sounds like it is well within the published
> tolerances...

Well, we verified the 10% voltage drop using the hardware monitor of the
setup (first time we use the VGA console in a while), so the CPU was idle
then. If you keep it idle it won't hang, only if you load it with an
intensive (99% CPU) job. It also only really heats up in such conditions,
so the load on the power supply is only high when the CPU is loaded. I
guess that the voltages drop even more when you load the node, hence the
hang. But it must be said that we didn't really measure that.

							Cheers,

        Jorge L. deLyra,  Associate Professor of Physics
            The University of Sao Paulo,  IFUSP-DFMA
       For more information: finger delyra@latt.if.usp.br