Re: rsyslog 8.2302.0-1~bpo11+1 needs orphan-sysvinit-scripts 0.14

Hi,

在 2023-06-22星期四的 18:01 +0100,Matthew Vernon写道:
> Hi,
>
> On 22/06/2023 17:46, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> > 在 2023-06-21星期三的 09:42 +0200,Opty写道:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > rsyslog 8.2302.0-1~bpo11+1 removed SysV init script and non-systemd
> > > support from rotate script but no backport of orphan-sysvinit-scripts
> > > 0.14 exists so far (which contains the stuff needed).
> > >
> > > It seems that one could install Bookworm version directly but
> > > personally I don't like this approach.
> > >
> > > I haven't subscribed yet so Cc me please.
> >
> > Forwarding your email to the current package maintainer of
> > orphan-sysvinit-scripts in Debian to see if they have any comments.
> > If a backport is feasible, it can be uploaded to bullseye-backports.
>
> There's no particular reason why you couldn't just use the bookworm
> package (0.14) directly - it is basically just some shell scripts and
> dpkg triggers and so on.
>
> Given that, I'm not sure a backport is of much value (since presumably I
> would then be committing to remembering to update it every time I
> uploaded a new version?)...?

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ indicates that maintenance of
backported packages is not the responsibility of original package
maintainer (though the original package maintainer can maintain backported
packages if they are willing to). The original package maintainers tend
to know the package better such as some parts may not be suitable for
backporting or needs special handling when used on Stable system, etc.
For the current specific case, the package upload could be an one-time effort.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang