Re: Activate a Real Time Clock chip on I2C in Raspberry Pi 4B with Debian (not Raspbian)

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023, at 7:55 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-04-17 at 13:39 +0300, Reco wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 02:48:44AM -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
>> > Sadly,   when I do:
>> >     i2cdetect -l
>> > I get nothing back.  Leading me to conclude that there are no busses available.
>>
>> "modprobe i2c-dev" should fix that.
>
> This seems like a usability issue, so I have sent a patch that
> adds a bunch of error messages in situations of silent failure:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-i2c/20230418023248.250685-1-pabs3@bonedaddy.net/T/

That would have been great while I was trying to track down the solution to this problem.
What would have been even greater is if the error messages include references to some documentation that explained the problem and gave some clues to the larger context in which the problem arose.

I'm still hoping that someone here can point me to documentation that can give me answers to questions like these:  For example, I'd like to know why it chose bus3 rather than one of the other busses (0,1,2,4)?  I'd also like to know what the various modules do and what kinds of parameters there are to influence the detailed behavior?  And where is the documentation for the magic writing into /sys ?

Big Thanks! to all who have contributed to this discussion.
Rick