Re: Debian on Lenovo Chromebook (ARMv8)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 18:31:10 +0300
Alper Nebi Yasak <alpernebiyasak@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/03/2023 00:50, Brian Sammon wrote:
> >> I currently have a Lenovo Duet 5 chromebook (with ARM processor) that
> >> debian off an SD Card via USB.
>
> The SC7180 one? Does it work with the Debian-built kernel?

It's a Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c Ver2.
I'm running the kernel that came with the image I downloaded from https://github.com/hexdump0815/imagebuilder a few months ago.  I believe it's a 5.19.1 kernel minimally patched from kernel.org sources (and possibly some customization of the .config and devicetree).  Reportedly, v6 of the kernel should work unpatched.
I should start a DebianOn page for the wiki.

> >> I haven't gotten to the point of understanding if/why all these steps
> >> actually necessary, but I've used this process successfully to
> It's just how Google designed their bootloader to boot ChromeOS, instead

Right, I get the general idea.  Just not sure if you need to follow that process 100%, or if there's some flexibility.  In particular, I don't know if the lz4 step is necessary, and whether other compression formats are allowed.

Relatedly, I'm wondering how many kernel partitions I can have.  Can I have (usefully) a "KERN-Z" partition?

> Debian Installer can create ChromeOS kernel partitions (manually) and
> can use depthcharge-tools to make things bootable now, assuming you can
> get the installer to boot (wrt/ kernel support, manual image
> preparation, size limits).
>
> I need to work more on generating pre-built installer images, and I
> expect I'll need to write a wiki page for some parts eventually. But
> things are looking good (kernel config aside).

Is there anywhere (besides this list) that I should be reading/subscribed to to learn more about debian-installer support for Chromebooks?