Is an ARM computer a good choice? Which one?

Would an ARM-based machine be a good freedom-respecting computer to
run Debian on? I read the Raptor/Power guys saying modern ARM has
freedom problems in a, but I haven't seen them go into specifics. Is
it at least "not as bad" as amd64, with Intel's Management Engine and
AMD's equivalent? Or is something like a System76 or Puri.sm
amd64-based machine better / just as good?

Do you have specific "ready to buy" (even if lead times are months,
not year+) computers to recommend for that? For a laptop? For a
"beefy" but quiet desktop that won't shy away from compiling
e.g. LibreOffice?

Will popular Debian software "generally work" or will I run into
"many" situations like e.g. Firefox WebRTC doesn't work on Power and
QT 5 doesn't work on Sparc64 (!!!)?

I don't particularly want to get deep into being a porter, but I want
a good desktop to run XFCE, emacs, mutt, gdal, Firefox ESR, etc,
developing my pet software, maybe get back into LibreOffice (a beast
to compile...)  development and/or become active as Debian package
maintainer again, flashing LineageOS to my Android pocket computers
(smartphones) until a better alternative becomes usable, ...

Thanks in advance for your advice,

--
Lionel