Re: abi-compliance-checker and library transitions [Re: another attempt at Y2038]

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023, at 18:08, Wookey wrote:
> On 2023-02-04 21:42 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 09:42:58PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
>> Does doing an ABI transition of ~113 libraries seem tractable to folks?
>
> It certainly provides evidence for the idea that this is not
> completely intractable, which I think many people (including me)
> worried was the case initially.

When I did a similar analysis a few years ago using just pattern-matching
on header files, the result was that more than half the total packages
in Debian depended on at least one other package that needed an ABI
transition, which in my mind made it unrealistic.

It's possible that there were a lot of false-positive results in my
analysis then, but I would still suggest looking at what portion of
the archive depends on the libraries that you identified this time.

       Arnd