Is there a way to make the pi use swap?

Greetings;

As I attempt to go beyond the original setup on the pi 3b, which was to
run linuxcnc on it.

But since it has 1/2 its cpu power left over, I am finding the lack of
memory to be a pita. Starting a camera application so I can calibrate
out the errors in the lathes mechanics then kills other services like
ssh, or even the whole thing so bad it needs a powerdown reboot.

I have a couple ssd's mounted each with a couple gigs of swap, but the pi
isn't using them, at least not as expected.

What would be the chain of things to check and adjust so it does use the
available swap?  There is a 10Gb defined in the /etc/fstab, on partition
sda2, one of the 2 ssd's plugged into a usb hub.

If swapon -a is run, I can see 999megs of swap in htop, which goes away
after a swapoff -a, both of course as sudo root.

Thanks for any clues.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)