Re: Re: Re: debian and wol on Buffalo Linkstation WXL

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Adam Borowski wrote:

> glibc in stretch requires kernel 3.2, systemd kernel 3.13.  Most kernels you
> get on vendor images are 3.4, 3.8 or 3.10 -- all of them good for stretch in
> general but not for systemd; other packages with kernel requirements are
> extremely rare and unlikely to be involved.

Depending on the firmware version, it could either be linux 2.6.31.8
or linux-3.3.4.

http://opensource.buffalo.jp/ls-x-140.html
http://opensource.buffalo.jp/ls-x-165.html

Interestingly, the original firmware also appears to be using dpkg.

> I'd first try without systemd; even kernel version aside, other init/rc
> combinations are more likely to work even when a required kernel option is
> missing or some other minor error happens.

Seems like in this case not using systemd will fix the issue, but only
if the Buffalo firmware is the newer one.

> Jessie is also needed in case the vendor kernel is 3.0 (jessie's glibc needs
> 2.6.32, no idea about systemd).

So jessie would be too new for firmware version 1.40 and wheezy or
earlier would be needed.

--
bye,
pabs