Re: U-boot menu support in Debian

On 2017-01-05, Riku Voipio wrote:
> I only recently noticed that Debian doesn't seem use U-boot
> support for extlinux style boot menus. This makes jumping
> between kernel versions frustrating.
>
> I've taken the old syslinux support for menu generation and
> re-purposed it for u-boot:
>
> 	https://github.com/suihkulokki/u-boot-update

Thanks for working on this!

Karsten Merker, Ian Campbell and I had a bit of a discussion during
Debconf15 about doing exactly this, and then I discovered it was removed
From the syslinux/extlinux packages and put it on the back burner...

This would also be good to do for debian-installer images (one concern
was how widespread support for the "chosen" console was, as there was no
way to pass the console via extlinux.conf in a platform agnostic way).

> Note location is temporary, I don't know if this is
> preferrable as independent package, part of flash-kernel
> or even u-boot package itself.

Indeed. On the one hand, it'd be nice to keep it outside of
flash-kernel, so as not to require flash-kernel and it's dependencies.

I could include it in the u-boot-tools package, but I'd want it to
default to doing nothing out of the box, if someone is relying on a boot
script this could break their boot configuration. It could also be
implemented as a separate package and enabled by default; probably too
late for stretch, though.

> Setting this up for Dragonboard 410c is matter of:
>
> # echo U_BOOT_FDT=\"qcom/apq8016-sbc.dtb\" > /etc/default/u-boot
>
> This could be truly platform agnostic by using the
> the "fdtdir" keyword in the menu. However, on u-boot the
> fdtfile is "apq8016-sbc.dtb", missing the qcom/ directory
> prefix. We need to submit a patch for u-boot to search device
> tree from vendor sub-dirs too.

Yes, that would be nice.

I made a couple fixes for my use-case and tested with pine64.

I've submitted a pull request that fixes an issue with falling back to
using "fdtdir" and make the "fdtdir" configurable via a variable to
improve compatibility with flash-kernel or when /boot is on a separate
partition:

  https://github.com/suihkulokki/u-boot-update/pull/1

My workaround was to use flash-kernel to copy the dtb into /boot (which
I had to do anyways, since /boot was on a separate partition), and
configure /boot/dtbs/$VERSION in my patches above.

live well,
  vagrant