Re: sheeveplug new u-boot - just to make sure I've got it right...

* Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> [2016-01-22 19:30]:
> If your Sheevaplug has a u-boot version prior to 2014.10+dfsg1-5,
> including any of the original "Marvell" versions, the environment is
> located at 0x60000 and this should be reflected in the "Device
> offset" field in /etc/fw_env.config file.
>
> If your Sheevaplug has a u-boot version of 2014.10+dfsg1-5, e.g. if
> you upgraded u-boot while running Debian Jessie, of 2016.01+dfsg1-1
> or later, from Debian Stretch or later, the environment is located
> at 0x80000 and this should, in turn, be reflected in the "Device
> offset" field in /etc/fw_env.config file.

I don't know where the environment was located in the original Marvell
u-boot but I know for sure that upgrading from Marvell u-boot to DENX
u-boot destroys your environment.  My page has a note about this
("This step is important because all U-Boot configuration data
(including your MAC address) is lost when upgrading from the Marvell
to the DENX U-Boot.")

It would also appear to be the case that someone with a pre 2014.10
DENX upgrading to 2014.10 DENX or later would also lose their u-boot
environment.

> If this is correct, it needs to be reflected in a README file in,
> for example, the /usr/share/doc/u-boot-tools/examples directory.
> And a pointer to that README needs to be placed in
> /usr/share/doc/u-boot-tools/examples/sheevaplug.config

I would simply add a comment to
/usr/share/doc/u-boot-tools/examples/sheevaplug.config about it.

> Does this also apply (verbatim, or with some changes) to other armel
> (and armhf?) devices?  E.g. the OpenRD and mx6cuboxi devices?

I don't know because every device is different, but I suspect it's
fairly rare.  Fortunately, the size did not change on the OpenRD
thanks to Albert ARIBAUD's efforts.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/