Re: orion5x housekeeping

* Ian Campbell <ijc@debian.org> [2016-01-02 10:26]:
> I wonder if, for armel generally (or even arm* generally), we should
> take a leaf out of the u-boot package's book[0] and require a specific
> person from the community to agree to be listed as a tester for any
> platform we intend to Support, meaning that they would agree to
> occasionally try things on the named system or to do so when prodded
> regarding a specific change (e.g. big kernel transition).

I like the idea and this is one of the reasons I posted the original
message.  In fact, we used to track testers for various platforms in
the past, see debian-installer/doc/devel/testers.txt - but the last
change was in 2009 so this is very out of date.

I agree with Karsten that it doesn't make sense to have a strict
requirement since that doesn't make sense on the newer DT platforms
(or EFI systems, which should just work).  But I wish there were a
better way to indicate to users how well something is supported.
Maybe have a green, yellow, red indication; e.g. TS-x19 would be green
(it has an active maintainer, many users, things work), TS-109 would
be yellow until recently (no active maintainer, no installer but
things should mostly work) and the Linkstation should probably be red
(no active maintainer, no idea if it works).

[I see that Karsten's Allwinder page lists various devices and links to
installation reports]

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/