new old user

I wasn't in the list before but about February I installed Sven Ola's
Debian Kit found on f-droid.  Used it a few months, was reasonably
happy with it, then the phone hardware blew up.  I still have my SD
card with the Debian partition and a bunch of the original install
stuff, plus about 1.5 gb of old debs from it..

So, newer phone just rooted, bigger SD card, making decisions.  I'd
like to recreate what I had I think but it had some rough edges like
direct hardware support was basically non-existant.  No sound, GPS,
access to the phone's modem and video was done by running a VNC server
then an Android VNC client.

Meanwhile Ubuntu has what seems like an Android replacement.  That's
probably too radical but has Debian managed to steal any of their
drivers?  I tried Ubuntu about 2008 on an i386 for a week or so then
replaced it with Debian, I didn't like the dumbed-down aspect of it.
Mostly I'm an OpenBSD user but their ARM branch doesn't extend to
phones.  I've also used Debian-arm on my Raspberry Pi, tried FreeBSD
but Debian was more mature.  Maybe I just like seeing Synaptic work.

So what to install is the question.  I liked having a full desktop
environment on a phone with the option to connect by VNC or ssh over
WiFi.  Is there a new installer package for phones or should I salvage
what I've got?

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX