Re: UBIFS fails & crashes on SheevaPlug

On 07/24/2009 04:12 PM, Erno Kuusela wrote:
Ah, ok. I did google for that error message but searching for
"ubi_io_write: error -5" doesn't yield anything useful for the first
screenful of results..

So workaround would be to disable CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE or to
follow the "ignore sub pages" entry from the faq...

Indeed the latter seems to work, if I give --vid-hdr-offset 2048 option
to the ubinize, ubiformat&  ubiattach commands. Thanks!

It should work without this. Your flash driver reports that your flash
supports 512-byte sub-pages. This means you may save your flash space
and put both UBI headers to the first NAND page. See this explanation:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_overhead

If you follow links from this little section, you should grasp the picture.

So, disabling this option should help without the --vid-hdr-offset 2048
stuff. If it does not, then you should fix your driver.

Maybe it would be better to disable the verify&  subpages combo
until the bug is fixed? Especially since it crashes the kernel...

May be, but it is better to just fix this.

Also, ubiformat mentioned 1400+ "bad" eraseblocks, what should I make of
that? Is it really failed flash cells, just some blocks reserved for
u-boot and stuff, or blocks traumatized from my earlier misadventures
with ubiformat parameters?

Hmm, this is not normal. What is the version of ubiformat you use? Could
you try the latest one from the git tree:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_usptools

Just in case, here are mtd-utils compile issues FAQ:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_mkfs_ubifs_comp
or you may always cd to ubi-utils and compile only UBI utils.

And what UBI is printing? See "UBI: number of bad PEBs:" message.

And please, send the exact ubiformat pritns.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Артём Битюцкий)