NLSU2 fails to boot after a new image is flashed.

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting any image updates to boot on my NSLU2,
either via apt-get upgrade or
update-initramfs -u
flash-kernel
Thankfully I have a working backup image so it is easy for me to try
ideas and if they fail get a working system back.

I believe the NSLU2 is either failing to load the initramfs or mount
the root filesystem, as it quickly get to a state with a solid yellow
status light and green ethernet light but no disk lights. It then
progresses no further and I can't log in.

I've tried the following:
1) Setting FSCKFIX=yes in /etc/default/rcS
2) Changed the fstab to use UUID's to prevent drive remappping issues.
3) Ruled out clock issues by running sudo hwclock  --systohc

I am running a fairly solid stock etch system, but I upgraded some
packages( rtorrent and its dependents, ushare dependents), the root
filesystem is on an external 500Gb USB disk drive.

I am currently trying to reverse the initramfs so that I can see the
differences between the working flash and non booting ones, but I am
stuck trying to unzip the ramdisk.gz as it has been padded to 4Mb.

If you have any idea why the images created by my NSLU2 are not
working for me or have any suggestion of things to try to get them to
work please let me know.

Thanks for any help

Dave Wall