Re: Updating system with ia32-apt-get

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Norval Watson <norv2001@yahoo.com.au> writes:

Hi Goswin,

Thanks for maintaining the new ia32-apt-get, I think it is a step forward to a true multi-arch environment.
One small question:
When updating a system with ia32-apt-get installed, should I run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo ia32-apt-get update
sudo ia32-apt-get dist-upgrade

Or is that overkill?

Thanks again,
Norv

That is overkill and might even do the wrong thing now (starting with
version 23 you don't have yet). Starting with ia32-apt-get version 23
one can blacklist packages from one architecture so packages from
another are used. The example (and default config) being wine where I
want the i386 debs to be used instead of the amd64 debs. But the
blacklisting only works for ia32-apt-get and "apt-get dist-upgrade"
would happily install the amd64 debs. Because of the ~XX added to the
version in ia32-apt-get you would then be stuck with them.

Using only "ia32-apt-get" for all things is recommended to avoid
unexpected results. But if you forget then the system won't blow up.
It is not dangerous.

MfG
        Goswin

What if I'm using Synaptic then? Should I ia32-apt-get update first then run Synaptic? But will Synaptic see the new packages and changes then? Or Synaptic does maintain ia32- properly and it's enough to click Refresh button there?

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann