Re: 32 bit pkg on amd64

Hello,

where did get ia32-apt-get, please ? I only found ia32-libs.

hp:/home/mac# apt-get install ia32-apt-get
Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto
Construindo árvore de dependências
Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
E: Impossível achar pacote ia32-apt-get

thanks

mac

> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:36:54AM -0300, macdowell.smd@dpf.gov.br wrote:
>>> can we run 32 bit pkg on amd64?
>>> specifically I would like to run
>>> skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb
>> You could probably force the arch (not recommended)
>
> Better to
>
> deb-reversion -v 2.0.0.72-1.amd64 -k /bin/sh
> skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb "Changed to amd64"
>
> and then edit DEBIAN/control to list Architecture: amd64 and Depends:
ia32-libs,...

>> You could install it in a 32bit chroot (works fine and lets you install
needed libraries too if any)
>> You might be able to use dpkg-cross to convert the package and make it
installable, although libraries would still be an issue.

> Package: ia32-apt-get
conversion
>  On amd64 and ia64 the kernel is capable of executing i386
>  binaries. For that to work with dynamically linked binaries the
required 32bit libraries need to be available as well. This package
contains wrappers for apt-get and dpkg that will enable you to install
i386 packages and convert them as they are being installed.

> More elaborate than just dpkg-cross.
>
>> You could nag skype to get with the current reality and make a 64bit
version.
>> Or you could choose to ignore the awfulness that is skype and use ekiga
or something else standards commpliant and open source which doesn't
use an awful secret p2p like protocol. :)