Re: How would I get debian unstable?

Lennart Sorensen:

> I have never used apt-get ugrade.  I always use dist-upgrade.  I have no
> idea when I would want to use upgrade instead, and I have used debian
> for 9 years now.  I think it has no actual purpose really.

The difference is that 'upgrade' never installs or removes packages to
be able to install a newer version of a package you already have
installed. That way an upgrade will never break your system by removing
packages you actually needed. Always use upgrade and you will never be
surprised by its results. If an upgrade needs to remove or install
packages, you will do it consciously.

Many people don't read it when apt-get/aptitude tells them what it is
going to remove, only to complain afterwards that a dist-upgrade removed
their favourite package.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.