Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

Heikki Levanto:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:53:55PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Well the 169 driver in unstable works fine with 2.6.24.  The one in
>> stable works fine with 2.6.18 (but I don't believe it supports an 8xxx
>> cards).
>>
>> My howto on installing it on Debian is here:
>> http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html
>
> Thanks, and sorry for being dense, but when you say 'the 196 driver' (or 1xx
> driver, as you say in your howto), what should I be getting. I seem to be
> unable to find any debian packages with that number in it.

$ apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-source:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.8776-4
  Version table:
     169.12-1 0
         50 http://ftp2.de.debian.org sid/non-free Packages
     1.0.8776-4 0
        950 http://ftp2.de.debian.org etch/non-free Packages

169 is (part of) the version number.  You can use aptitude to search for
packages with a specific version:

$ aptitude search ~V169
i   mt-daapd                      - iTunes-compatible DAAP server
p   nvidia-glx                    - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
p   nvidia-glx-dev                - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver development
p   nvidia-kernel-source          - NVIDIA binary kernel module source

J.
--
My drug of choice is self-pity.
[Agree]   [Disagree]