Re: rescue bootable cd ???

On Friday 28 September 2007 17:26, helices wrote:
> I have several rather complex debian systems, including software raid 5
> and lvm, &c.
>
> Occasionally, in the past, I have upgraded a debian system, after which
> it no longer boots successfully.  Unfortunately, for these complex
> systems, neither the install/boot media, nor knoppix, result in access
> to the files necessary to recover these systems.
>
> So, going forward, I want to incorporate generation of bootable rescue
> cd's into my upgrade processes.  Clearly, such a cd will exactly
> duplicate my last successful boot, and give access to ALL files and
> filesystems.
>
> [1] What is the simplest & most reliable process for creating such a cd?
>
> [2] Upgrading WHICH packages should be followed by creating such cd?
> Obviously, upgrading vim itself is NOT likely to jeopardize my next
> boot; but, the kernel, some libraries, and some packages involved in the
> early boot stages, are possible culprits.
>
> What do you do?
>
> What do you think?

It's very easy to create a GRUB boot floppy or CD. Just read the Installation
section at: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html

At a minimum you are likely to need to update GRUB whenever you upgrade or
install a new kernel, repartition, or add/change drives.

Also, in an emergency there is a 64-bit version of Knoppix at
http://www.applia.fr/contents/knoppix64.html that might come in handy.

Cheers!

cmr

cmr
--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------