Re: scsi & official debian repositories

The scsi card is perfectly recognized on pure 64bit debian etch install.

Moreover, I plan to maintain the workstation pure 64bit. mpqc is already
available at 64bit. I only have to compile a program as pre-quantum
mechanics. Not a minor problem if Open Motif does not become available.

To the latter concern AND IT MAY BE A QUESTION OF GENERAL INTEREST FOR OTHER
APPLICATIONS,  I'll try to adhere to the request of installing packages from
only official debian. I have in fact agreed to send automatically reports.
However, I am not interested in either kde or gnome or realplayer or sound
anyway; what I need (and it might be the same for workstations anywhere) is a
better window manager than twm for X, ideally mwm. I need to move and resize
the windows. twm you know cannot. kwin from kde is the worst one can install
for my purposes, and it is very intruding, remembering tools from Microsoft.

I also need OpenMotif to compile for OpenGL. Will these packages appear on
debian official repositories? If not, why to delay installing such packages
from elsewhere right now? The only obstacle I see is the lack of security
updates.

Hurry is usually a bad councillor but going on with scientific research is a
pressing need.

Thanks for advice on strategies to this regard.

francesco pietra