Re: install-mbr on amd64?

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 04:29:36PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> You have to trick grub-install. Say /boot is on /dev/md0, a raid1 of
> /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. Then you can put /dev/sda1 into devices.map,
> instal-grub, repeat for sdb1. You might have to change fstab and/or
> mtab as well. Can't remeber if that is truely needed.

... and that's why I do not use grub whith software raid. It is much
more awkward to set up than lilo, there is no documentation, and it is
less reliable. Lilo at least displays some letters when something goes
wrong so you know what did you do wrong; grub just hangs without any
messages at all.

If you want fancy boot, go with grub. If you want reliable boot from an
md device, go with lilo.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences