How to install nvidia driver

Hello,

next week I will try to install debian-amd64 on a new computer
with a nvidia graphic card (7800GTX).

I don't really like these closed source drivers from ati and
nvidia, but I think I have to use it.

I have just done some google search about debian and nvidia
drivers. Some people recommend not to install the nvidia way,
but to use the debian way. I found only one detailed explanation
about how to do it:

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

This tutorial is very nice, but I am not sure if it is an
official debian recommendation and if it will work for AMD64
too.

Can you comment on this? Are there other tutorials around? Will I
have only textmode available until I install the nvidia driver,
or will the X-Org driver give me  an unaccelerated graphical
display?

Thank you for your support

Stefan Salewski