Re: chroot: wiped my home directory

Jonathan Kaye wrote:

> Hi 64-ers,
> Here's my set up:
> /hda - Debian Etch 2.6.8 i386
> /hdb - Debian Sid  2.6.11 amd64
> Both are bootable, independent kernels. No chrooting at all so far.
> Each disk is mounted on the other system (/pure64 on /hda and /i386
> on /hdb).
> Say I've booted into the amd64 system (hdb). Would it be possible to do
> the following?
> #chroot /i386 ? (this is the mount point of the 32bit system on the other
> disk.
> I hope that's clear.
> Thanks in advance for you advice.
> Jonathan
Actually this has turned out to be a disaster. I bind-mounted my 32bit home
directory, which was also mounted normally. Both these mounts were in the
fstab file. I chrooted from the 64bit system and su - mylogin name and set
the display. I tried running openoffice and wonder of wonders it opened!
The one thing that was strange was it acted as if my 32bit home directory
was empty (gave my the running for the first time routine). Hmm. Well the
result of all this was that my 32bit home directory was wiped clean. Dead!
Gone forever! Damned inconvenient that. Suicide became a serious option but
I salvaged what I could (yes, I know, I should have backedup my home
directory). Anyway be warned! I'm not sure if it is the mount - bind that
does this or the combination of having the /dev/hda1 mounted twice (once in
its entirety and the other as a bound mount for /home (tmp and proc were
harmless and weren't mounted twice in any event) that caused all this but I
don't need to tell anyone what the moral of this story is.
Now if you'll permit me, aaarrrrggghhhhhh!
Jonathan