Re: filesize limit?

On 5/4/05, Michal Hajek <hajek1@karlov.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> I run accross a question, what is the maximum filesize for default
> instalation of amd64 debian sid with ext3 filesystem and kernel version
> 2.6.11-9-amd64-k8 ?
>
> If I understand it correctly, how big files can be handeled also depends
> on the application which manipulates them.
> Eg. if I have tar version 1.4, than how big files can I produce with it?
> I could not find it either in manpages or in google.

That is because tar does not have any built in limit. There used to be
an issue with libc, that limited file sizes to 2 GB on i386, but I
think it has long been solved.

Which mean that your filesystem is the only limit. Ext3 has (had?) a
limit of 32bit block numbers, so that the maximum size of a filesystem
is limited to around 4 TB. If I understand correctly, neither reiserfs
nor XFS have a similar limit. That should be something google can
answer, though.

Thomas