Re: Can't boot amd64 kernel

On Jan 4, 2004, at 17:43, Xavier Hienne wrote:

Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
Try first with kernel parameters like nosmp, noapic and nolapic, they might help you identify the problem.
with 2.4.23-pre6-amd64-smp and ear protection[0]:
nosmp: boots, unable to mount root (apparently, no adaptec u320 driver)

Maybe you should first look whether this pb can be solved or not. I don't know if this driver is included in the kernel deb package, but adaptec cards are usually well supported. If so, the driver may be in the initrd file and you might have forgotten the initrd line in your lilo.conf

2.4.23...amd64 don't seem to create initrd.img files. Maybe it has to do with the depmod failures, but that shouldn't matter for initializing the CPU.

    noapic: hangs at initializing cpu #1
    nolapic: hangs at initializing cpu #1

Have you tried both options at the same time ? I don't think it will change anything, but it's worth trying.

I've just discovered the file
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/x86_64/boot-options.txt

I'll look into that. I think my best bet now is to use unpatched sources, and start asking on e.g., linux-kernel. Or, if I'm lucky, 2.4.23 from kernel.org will work...