Re: IDE performance on 164LX?

Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
Hello.

Hi,

I've noticed that my IDE hard drive on 164LX is
_terribly_ slow. Yes, I know, I should buy SCSI -- but
I can't afford that right now :(
Perhaps, there are some possible tweaks to
get the speed a little bit higher (like switching on DMA on
Intels does...)?

Non-DMA IDE on Alpha is SLOW; much slower than non-DMA IDE on x86.
But you can get it into IDE. Just compile the CMD64x IDE support into the kernel and it should work. (The LX uses the CMD646 chip).

Note; I recommend against 2.4.19 - it made my machine unhappy; although I've now reinstalled it and it is OK - but I've not patched it hard.

Dave