Re: Expected progress?

Nikhil Nair <nn201@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> I'm going to be buying a machine of some description in October, and am
> toying with the idea of making it an Alpha (the alternative is a Pentium).
> Whatever I get, I'd like to run dEbian on it, so I was wondering how you
> guys expect the Debian Alpha port to develop in the next few months, and
> in particular how stable it's likely to be by then.  I appreciate it's
> probably not an easy one to call, but appreciate hearing the thoughts of
> those at the cutting edge ...

This is tardy.  I apologize.

In the next couple of weeks, I hope to get "pristine" installation
disks done for the alpha port.  This should allow anyone with a
Multia, at least, to do a fresh install that won't have remnants of
libc6 or old compilers, etc.

At this point, I think it will be possible for others to reasonably
expect to do porting of packages---something that's not currently
reasonable because I've not until recently been able to get all the
development packages in a state where I was comfortable releasing
them.

We currently have approximately 380 of the 1100 or so packages in the
"mainstream" (not contrib or non-free) dist compiled.  I think, if
people have a little time to devote to it, we should be able to close
that gap quite handily.

By October, I would anticipate Debian/Alpha to be a working product.
At most, you might need to ask someone to compile a kernel for your
particular hardware configuration, since one needs different kernels
for different motherboards.

Mike.