Re: RFS: rocalution/5.7.1-1 [ITP] -- ROCm library for iterative sparse solvers

I'm sure you noticed but I uploaded it to NEW a couple of days ago.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 11:41:12AM -0700, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> Hi Kari,
>
> Thanks for your review. I appreciate your guidance.
>
> On 2024-02-13 03:19, Kari Pahula wrote:
> > A suggestion: The documentation package could include an examples
> > subdirectory in /usr/share/doc/librocalution-doc and it could install
> > the cpp files from the clients directory to it.  And the package could
> > provide a Makefile to compile them as well, since using cmake for that
> > purpose would be overkill.  /usr/share/doc/libgecode-doc/examples if
> > you want to check how I did it for Gecode.
>
> I've added the stand-alone examples to the doc package.The build process for
> each example is just linking against rocalution. e.g. `g++
> /usr/share/doc/librocalution-dev/examples/amg.cpp -lrocalution`. Would this
> be sufficient to proceed with the initial upload? We can further refine the
> provided examples in later updates.
>
> I did not add a Makefile to the package, but I've attached one to consider.
> Is the expectation that users will copy the examples directory to their home
> folder before calling `make`?

I'd say this is good enough as is.  The idea about providing a
Makefile is not any common practice in any case.  I think it's
reasonable to expect people looking into rocalution to use g++
themselves on the examples and pass one -l flag to it.  Gecode wants
way more.

> > Also, it wasn't obvious to me what an mtx file was that the samples
> > required, I found an example from
> > https://github.com/NVIDIA/AMGX/blob/main/examples/matrix.mtx.  It
> > wouldn't hurt to include an example of that as well.
>
> It would be nice to have a representative example. Ideally, we would package
> some of the matrices from the eponymous Matrix Market [1] or the SuiteSparse
> Matrix Collection [2] in their own data packages. However, it's not clear to
> me whether Debian can redistribute any of those files.

I guess this is a question what prior knowledge is reasonable to
expect from the audience looking into the package.  If it's expected
that they have some level of knowledge then it's fine to just leave it
aside.  The same way how no C library describes what the C programming
language is.

In my case I didn't really know about this library's use case so I had
to go searching for any example to use on it.