Re: Breaking down barriers to ROCm packaging

Hi Kari,

On 2024-01-29 06:33, Kari Pahula wrote:
I could be interested in helping with this.  I have a Thinkpad with
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U, is that recent enough for usefully testing that
things work?  rocminfo lists the integrated GPU as gfx1035.

The marketing name for your GPU is the AMD Radeon 680M. AMD doesn't officially support ROCm on integrated graphics, so it may be a rocky experience on that hardware. It works ok for small, simple programs, but I've seen failures in more demanding programs. I'm not sure what the exact limits are. I suspect that many problems are out-of-memory errors because ROCm does not adjust the memory that is allocated to the GPU. It would be interesting to experiment and pin down exactly what features work or don't work on integrated graphics.

If you're wanting to help with packaging, we may need to find you a system with a discrete GPU. If you have a desktop system that merely lacks a suitable GPU, I can provide one. Alternatively, I can arrange remote access to a GPU server.

Sincerely,
Cory Bloor