Re: Proposal for new version mangling rule when ML-Policy takes effect

On 10/8/20 2:13 PM, Mo Zhou wrote:
The advantage I'm thinking of by appending "+mlp" is that packages
affected by ML-Policy are much easier to be identified.
IMHO, that would be only a trivial advantage, and for the benefit of very few. The cost would be losing the universally understood signal that is +dfsg.

As to _why_ there is this particular signal, I don't think the tag is the place to communicate that. That's the job of the "Disclaimer" field in debian/copyright, which somebody principled enough to care about +dfsg or +mlp would have to check anyway.

So unless a significant benefit comes up that can't be addressed otherwise, for example: a user-defined field in debian/control such as,

    XS-ML-Policy: <value>

I would propose sticking with +dfsg.

Best,
Christian