Re: Debian package for Alire 1.2.1

Hi!

On 26/01/2023 22:26, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
Nicolas Boulenguez <nicolas@debian.org> writes:
It does not make sense to *integrate* a tool intending to overlap with
distribution-specific integration tools like dpkg or rpm.
[...]
On the other hand, Debian may *distribute* Alire.

Yes, I should have said "distribute"...
Alire's goal is not to replace dpkg or rpm.
Now, I'm not the author of the tool.
I just think as many others it is useful for Ada development
and this is why I've proposed this Debian package.

I agree that it is important for end users to understand the differences
between a source package manager like alire and a binary package manager
like dpkg.

Moreover, my first experience building alire itself suggests that the
"normal" way for alire projects is to duplicate and recompile sources of
libraries, for each use of said libraries.  I hope I am wrong because
alire might be or become a powerful tool to produce more Debian binary
packages from upstream sources, *if* it supports precompiled libraries.

Yes, your understanding is correct.
Each project has to re-download and re-build the library they depend on.
This is not what I prefer but this is the way it was designed.
The tool is also making some progress over time so this may change and be improved.

The benefit of Alire is that it gives you access to more than 280 Ada libraries
and tools.  There is a growing community and adoption by some Ada developers.
(See https://ada-lang.io/ and https://gitter.im/ada-lang/Alire)

The alternative to Alire is to ask Ada developers to make and promote
their project as Debian package but I'm afraid this requires a lot of work.

Stephane