Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2023 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: removing desktop

Let's ask this in another, perhaps more helpful way.

Is there a way to easily install Debian for a command-line interface ONLY installation with networking tools like nmcli and nmtui installed and basic command-line browsers?

If so, how do you do it?

I believe this should be an option because many need and want this type of system with speech but no graphics interface (GUI) at all.

Vinux had an iso that did exactly this, and it's still available at the Archive here: https://archive.org/download/vinux-debian-cli-distro/Vinux-CLI-max-2.1.iso
1.jpg

I highly recommend Vinux 2.1 - everything seems to work and even to upgrade with dist-upgrade.

David.

Best wishes to all,

David

On Sat, May 27, 2023 at 2:15 PM john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
On 5/27/23 17:44, K0LNY wrote:
> Hi All,
> Well last night was an exercise in futility.
> I successfully copied my 32 GB SD card to another, and it booted just like the original.
> So then I did the research and used systemctl to disable the GUI boot.
> Then I had to remove the desktops, it showed two mates and one Gnome, the flashback metacity version.
> Using apt remove --purge, I got rid of the Gnome, but not the mate completely.
> After exhaustive researching, I did the apt remove --purge with mate-* and that finally got rid of it.

I thought tasksel was there for this purpose. :)

> All this is so I can install OMV on it.

I would start from scratch! ;^)

> But after all that, rebooting, doing apt clean and searching for any remainder of a desktop, OMV says there is still a desktop installed.
> My apt remove actions even removed the /usr/share/xsessions folder.

How is OMV ensuring that a DE is installed?

> So now I'm going to mark that up as a learning session and I'm now working on installing Debian server on this i386 computer.
> I downloaded Debian 11.7 net install ISO, and now I'm trying to get speech so I can install it on the same SD card.
> I thought I'd let folks know since I did get some info on using DD when I started this.
I do not understand how this could benefit the list.

--
John Doe