Re: xclip problem

On 12/23/2017 5:32 AM, john doe wrote:
On 12/22/2017 9:38 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
I tried all of this in a terminal and got :0.0 for the DISPLAY value. So I exported DISPLAY=:0.0 then ran xclip and xclip errored out because it couldn't find DISPLAY :0.0.

https://github.com/astrand/xclip

"* Connects to the X display in $DISPLAY, or specified with -display host:0"

What happened if you don't set the DISPLAY variable (post the error if any along with the command and where are you executing/entering it)?

Are you on Debian 9 (Stretch)?

Why do you need 'xclip' and what are you trying  to accomplish?

Alt F2 in MATE could run the command in a terminal if you select the appropriate option ('ALT F2' then press twice the tab key and press the space bar to activate the 'Run in a terminal' option).

Single and duble quotes are frequently used to indicate the command to run.

The utility 'xclip' works as expected with the package provided by Debian 9.

It looks like you have some issues on your system.
Can you do a fresh install of Debian 9?