Re: Accepted orbit2 1:2.14.19-0.3 (source amd64)

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 22 novembre 2013 à 10:52 +0100, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>>
>> > Given your recent behavior on Debian mailing lists, I don’t think you
>> > are in the best place to call people names.
>>
>> This just proves that you removed the patch just to spite me
>> as you know I’m working with the m68k porters.
>
> No, I removed the patch because it is bad practice to apply patches

IMHO, missing explicit padding is a generic portability issue, not purely
m68k-related. Besides, the padding exists in the other structures.

> specific to an architecture, and not compatible with the 3.0 quilt
> format.

That's a minor technicality. Google shows me the (simple) solution is

dh-make-perl refresh --source-format='3.0 (quilt)'

(http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/quilt.html#the_post_modern_way__3_0__quilt__)

but you probably already know that.

>> I can’t comment on the rest of the patch, you may want
>> to talk to its author instead. Some of us have a dayjob
>> to pay rent, food, etc.
>
> Some of us have a day job that involves having a working orbit2 package

Good. So you have a real incentive to get reported bugs fixed upstream,
so Debian doesn't have to carry these patches.

> on real-world architectures.

How many cars would stop driving when all m68k processors would die?

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds