Re: Call for m68k/atari debian-installer testers

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:54:44PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-06 08:46:00 +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be>
> wrote in message <[🔎] 20040506064600.GI5013@grep.be>:
> > On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:30:59AM -0400, Ray Knight wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 10:21, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
>
> > > Dropping the 2.2 kernel from sarge will mean no support for m68k Macs
> > > until someone fixes 2.4 or 2.6 in that regard.  Currently there isn't a
> > > stable 2.4 or 2.6 kernel for the m68k Macs.
> >
> > He's only talking about 2.2 for atari; 2.2 for mac will remain for as
> > long as is necessary.
>
> I still like the idea of having some "Old Hardware Test Centre" to keep
> things running with one or two persons working on them full-time:)
> However, some money needs to be put on the table for that :-/

I think the Debian project only owns a couple of Amigas and maybe Macs.
Unfortuantely it seems the debian-m68k developers only have amigas and macs
themselves (plus one atari hiding in a closet with harddisk problem?), but
no (working) atari or vme machines (nor q40/q60). Now if somebody would
doante such machines to the project, or sell them for a reasonable price (ie
below ebay price...), Stephen would not have to ask that often.

http://www.debian.org/donations#equipment_donations
http://www.debian.org/misc/hardware_wanted

Maybe we should add VME there, and some parts (nics, external case for SCSI
disks, video cards come to mind).

Re q40: I've put a kernel-image for testing up on
http://master.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/

If I get positive feedback, I will upload it to the archive. Since I never
heard back from the sun people, I can not build images for sun yet.

Christian